Monday, July 31, 2017

Do you even BITMOJI?



DIY Bitmoji Classroom Posters

Why Am I Late to the Bitmoji Game?


Well, friends, I'm back to the classroom for my second year in a row and I couldn't be more excited. After being out of the regular classroom for six years it has been such a refreshing change. I'm teaching middle school math to sixth graders.  Turns out, sixth graders and I have a lot in common! Lots of sass, laughs, and goofy shyness. You could say we relate! Teaching them is SO fun and they are so easy to entertain. They make me feel like a gorgeous comedian, even on my worst day.

In keeping with the silly but serious, laid-back but high-expectations environment I strive to create for my kiddos, I decided to (finally) create a Bitmoji of myself to liven-up my getting to know you/classroom procedures presentation for the first week of school. I was expecting to make one little image of myself to put on the first slide and be done.  Little did I know how cool this app is! I fell down the rabbit-hole of Bitmoji and had waaaaay too much fun with these little suckers.  About an hour and eleventy-thousand Brandy Bitmojis later, I had an idea to make some posters for my classroom. I think the kiddos will like the personal touch and it will make my room unique.

So How Did I Do It?


The process was super easy.  Download the Bitmoji app from the Apple app store (or Google Play if you have an Android). The app is free and easy to use. You simply follow the steps to create your Bitmoji to look similar to you. Once you have the Bitmoji created and saved, there are TONS of fun images using your Bitmoji that you can download and save. I just tapped the images I wanted to use and then emailed them to myself. Once I had them on my email, I inserted the image into a blank Keynote presentation (PowerPoint or Google Slides work just as well) sized to standard paper size (8.5 x 11 or 612 X 792 in Keynote) and added text boxes with my text. I used these amazing fonts from Amy Groesbeck that I purchased from Teachers Pay Teachers. So. Dang. Cute. She is super creative and her Instagram is a MUST follow for teachers. (@theamygroesbeck) So funny, so many ideas.

That's it! Insert an image, type some words, boom. Done.  Save as a PDF and print! These would look great on white paper printed in color or equally great on colorful Astrobrights paper in greyscale.

Do you have a Bitmoji? If not, GET ONE! I'm excited about the cute things I can do with mine this school year. What took me so long to do this? Big shout out to my librarian, Mrs. Sharon Hill, for making me aware of this super fun app!




6 comments:

  1. This was an awesome idea! I just made some for my second grade classroom and am totally going to pass it on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also download the Bitmoji extension for Chrome and add them directly from your PC or Mac into anything Google including email and Google apps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Bitmoji can only get so large before it looks grainy - how big are the posters you are making?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The article says a standard paper size.

      Delete
  4. Did you pay for a bitmoji similar to you? In the free app I can olnly use given emojis.

    ReplyDelete